The following words and phrases used in this chapter shall have the meanings set forth below or as defined in 6.01 SCC unless the context indicates otherwise:
(1) "Adult dog or cat" means any dog or cat six months of age or older.
(2) "Agricultural pursuits" means the use of land primarily for the production of crops and livestock or fur farming.
(3) "Animal" means any member of the classes: amphibian, fish, reptile, bird, marsupial or non-human mammal.
(4) "Animal control agency" means the agency designated in SCC 9.01.040.
(5) "Animal control officer" means any individual employed, contracted or appointed by the animal control agency for the purpose of enforcing this code or any other code, or the laws of the state of Washington.
(6) "Animal hospital" means a facility at which a licensed veterinarian provides medical treatment and consultation for animals which may stay temporarily at the facility for medical procedures or observation.
(7) "Animal shelter" means a facility that accepts from the public impounded, stray, homeless, abandoned or unwanted animals for temporary housing for a period of time not to exceed 6 months.
(8) "Boarding facility" means a place where more than one animal is kept by contractual arrangement with the owner, whether for compensation or not, for any purpose other than medical treatment, breeding, or permanent disposal.
(9) "Cat" means a domesticated Felis catus.
(10) "Commercial kennel" means a place where the owner or occupant of the property keeps at least four and not more than 25 total dogs including puppies and does not have a private kennel license as set forth herein.
(11) "Foster care" or "Rescue" or "Placement" means providing temporary care for dogs and cats from a licensed animal shelter at a private residence for a period of time not to exceed 6 months.
(12) "Grooming parlor" means any establishment, public or private, where animals are bathed, clipped, or combed for compensation.
(13) "Pet shop" means any person or establishment that acquires, holds, or offers animals not bred and whelped from the facility for the purpose of sale or resale to the public.
(14) "Private kennel - breeding" means a place at or adjoining a private residence where at least four but not more than 10 dogs of which at least one has not been neutered or spayed, are owned, kept or maintained by the persons residing on said property, for the purpose of hunting, training, field work, obedience trials, other competition, breeding, the enjoyment of the species or for any other purpose. Dogs under the age of 6 months shall not be included for purposes of determining the total number of dogs within the private kennel provided that they are bred and whelped from the adult dogs within the private kennel. Upon request, it shall be the duty of the kennel owner to provide to the licensing authority, evidence that dogs are under the age of 6 months and are bred and whelped from the adult dogs within the private kennel.
(15) "Private kennel - non-breeding" means a place at or adjoining a private residence where at least four but not more than 10 adult dogs of which all have been neutered or spayed, are owned, kept or maintained by the persons residing on said property, for the purpose of hunting, training, field work, obedience trials, other competition, the enjoyment of the species or for any other purpose. (Added by Ord. 97-020 § 4, May 7, 1997, Eff date July 1, 1997; Amended by Ord. 02-081, Dec. 4, 2002, Eff date Dec. 19, 2002; Amended by Ord. 06-136, Feb. 28, 2007, Eff date Mar. 16, 2007).