All technical terminology used in chapter 10.01 SCC, and not defined in chapter 10.01 SCC, shall be interpreted in conformance with the American National Standards Institute Specifications, Section 1.1-1983 and Section 1.4-1983 as now in force or as later amended. As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings set forth below:
(1) "Administrator" means the director of the planning and development services department or that person’s designated representative who is authorized to administer and enforce specific noise control provisions under chapter 10.01 SCC.
(2) "Ambient sound level" means the background level of all sound in a given district independent of the specific source being measured.
(3) "Commercial agriculture" means the production of livestock or agricultural commodities on lands defined as "Farm and Agricultural" by RCW 84.34.020 (2) and the offering of the livestock and agricultural commodities for sale.
(4) "Construction" means any site preparation, clearing, grading, assembly, erection, demolition, substantial repair, alteration or similar action for or of public or private rights-of-way, structures, utilities or similar property.
(5) "Day" or "daytime," for the purposes of this chapter, means the hours between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekdays and between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekends.
(6) "dB(A)" means the sound level measured in decibels, using the "A" weighting scale which reflects the response characteristics of the human ear.
(a) "Rural district" includes the following* zones established in chapter 30.21 SCC: Rural Resource Transitional - 10 Acre (RRT-10)*, Rural-5 acre (R-5), Rural Conservation (RC), Rural Use (RU), Suburban Agriculture-1 acre (SA-1), Forestry (F), Forestry and Recreation (F & R), Agriculture-10 Acre (A-10), and Rural Diversification (RD).
(b) "Residential district" includes the following* zones established in chapter 30.21 SCC: Residential 20,000 square feet (R-20,000), Residential 12,500 square feet (R-12,500), Residential 9,600 square feet (R-9,600), Residential 8,400 square feet (R-8,400), Residential 7,200 square feet (R-7,200), Waterfront Beach (WFB), Townhouse (T), Low Density Multiple Residential (LDMR), and Multiple Residential (MR).
(c) "Commercial district" includes the following* zones established in chapter 30.21 SCC: Freeway Service (FS), Neighborhood Business (NB), Planned Community Business (PCB), Community Business (CB), Rural Freeway Service (RFS), Rural Business (RB), Clearview Rural Commercial (CRC)* and General Commercial (GC).
(d) "Industrial district" includes the following* zones established in chapter 30.21 SCC: Business Park (BP), Light Industrial (LI), Heavy Industrial (HI), Industrial Park (IP), Mineral Conservation (MC), Rural Industrial (RI), and all parcels of land possessing a valid conditional use permit for mineral extraction issued pursuant to chapter 30.42C SCC.
(8) "Equipment" means any stationary, mobile, self-powered, or portable device or any part thereof capable of generating sound.
(9) "Exterior play area" means any outdoor area which is designated in any site plan as a place where children will play and/or features playground equipment, fields for organized sports, or other facilities for outdoor recreational activities.
(10) "Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the recommended maximum loaded weight of a single vehicle.
(11) "Impulsive sound" means sound having the following qualities: the peak of the sound level is less than one second and short compared to the occurrence rate, the onset is abrupt, the decay is rapid, and the peak value exceeds the ambient level by more than 10 dB(A). For example, the sound made by a pile driver would often meet the definition of an "impulsive sound."
(12) "Land use" means the nature of the occupancy, the type of activity, or the character and form of improvements to which land is devoted or may be devoted.
(13) "Leq" is a basic measure for quantifying noise exposure, namely: the equivalent A-weighted continuous sound level in a given time period that conveys the same sound energy as the actual time-varying A-weighted sound.
(14) "Ldn (day-night equivalent sound level)" is a basic measure for quantifying noise exposure, namely: the Leq for a 24-hour period with a 10dB weighting applied to sound levels between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
(15) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle which is self-propelled, used primarily for transporting persons or property upon public highways, and-required to be licensed under RCW 46.16.010, aircraft, watercraft and vehicles used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks are not motor vehicles as that term is used in chapter 10.01.
(16) "Motorcycle" means any motor vehicle having a saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, except that farm tractors and vehicles powered by engines of less than five horsepower are not included.
(17) "Muffler" means a device consisting of a series of chambers or other mechanical designs for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, or for the purpose of introducing water to the flow of the exhaust gas, and which is effective in reducing sound.
(18) "Night" or "nighttime," for the purposes of this chapter, means the hours between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. on weekdays, and between 10:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. on weekends.
(19) "Noise" means the intensity, duration and character of sounds from any and all sources.
(20) "Off-road vehicle" means any self-propelled motor-driven vehicle not used primarily for transporting persons or property upon public highways nor required to be licensed under RCW 46.16.010. "Off-road vehicle" shall not include special construction vehicles.
(21) "Periodic sound" means sound having the following qualities: the sound level varies repetitively with a period of one minute or less, and the peak value is more than 5 dB(A) above the minimum value. For example, the "chugging" sound made by a steam engine might meet the definition of a "periodic sound."
(22) "Person" means any individual, firm, association, partnership, corporation or any other entity, public or private.
(23) "Property" means an interest or aggregate of rights in land which is guaranteed and protected by law. For purposes of chapter 10.01 SCC, "property" includes a leasehold interest.
(24) "Property boundary" means an imaginary line exterior to any enclosed structure, at ground surface, which separates the property of one or more persons from that owned by others; and its vertical extension. In the case of separate tenancies or ownerships which share a common wall, floor, or ceiling "property boundary" shall mean the edge of the wall, floor, or ceiling which is on the side of the receiving tenancy or ownership.
(25) "Public disturbance noise" means any sound which, because of its random or infrequent occurrence, is not conducive to measurement under the quantitative standards established in SCC 10.01.030; and endangers or injures the safety or health of humans or animals, or endangers or damages personal or real property, or annoys, disturbs or perturbs any reasonable person of normal sensitivities, or is specifically included in those listed in SCC 10.01.040 (1) or 10.01.040 (2).
(26) "Public highway" means the entire width between the right-of-way lines of every roadway publicly maintained by the Washington State Department of Transportation, or any county or city, when any part of the right-of-way is generally open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel as a matter of right.
(27) "Pure tone component" means sound having the following qualities: a one-third octave band sound pressure level in the band with the tone that exceeds the arithmetic average of the sound pressure levels of the two contiguous one-third octave bands by 5 dB for center frequencies of 500 Hz and above, by 8 dB for center frequencies between 160 and 400 Hz, and by 15 dB for center frequencies less than or equal to 125 Hz. For example, the sound made by a siren often meets the definition of a "pure tone component."
(28) "Receiving property" means property within which sound originating beyond its property boundary is received.
(29) "Repetitive barking" means barking, whether by one or more dogs, which while not continuous constitutes 10 minutes or more of any half hour time span.
(30) "Sound level" means the weighted sound pressure level, measured by the use of a metering characteristic and weighted as specified in American National Standards Institute Specifications, Section 1.4-1983, as now or hereafter amended.
(31) "Sound level meter" means a sound level measuring device either Type I or Type II, as defined by American National Standards Institute Specifications, Section 1.4-1983, as now or hereafter amended.
(32) "Special construction vehicle" means any vehicle which is designed and used primarily for grading, paving, earthmoving, and other construction work; which is not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property on a public highway; and which is only incidentally operated or moved over the highway.
(33) "Temporary construction site" means any location where site clearing, construction of plat improvements, or construction or remodeling of a structure, facility, improvement, or other feature attached to the land occurs including roadway, bikeway, trail, sidewalk, or other similar construction, repair, or improvement.
(34) "Warning device" means any device intended to provide public warning of potentially hazardous, emergency or illegal activities, including but not limited to a burglar alarm or vehicle backup signal, but not including any fire alarm.
(35) "Watercraft" means any contrivance powered by an internal or external combustion engine used or capable of being used as a means of transportation or recreation on water. "Watercraft" includes aircraft taxiing on water, but excludes aircraft in the act of actual landing or takeoff.
(36) "Weekday" means any day Monday through Friday which is not a legal holiday as defined in RCW 1.16.050.
(37) "Weekend" means Saturday and Sunday or any legal holiday as defined in RCW 1.16.050.
* Code Reviser Note: The text shown above in subsection (7) in italic font was added by Ordinance No. 02-098 but was not indicated with addition marks.
(Added by Ord. 97-023 § 1, June 4, 1997, Eff date Jan. 1, 1998; Amended by Ord. 99-037 § 1, June 9, 1999, Eff date June 21, 1999; Amended by Ord. 02-098, Dec. 9, 2002, Eff date Feb. 1, 2003).